Food Donation Guidelines
Our acceptance of product is governed by two criteria:
- Public health requirements
- Our commitment to providing a healthy balance of nutrient-rich foods encompassing all the food groups.
We can accept:
- Shelf-stable products
- Shelf stabled dairy and juice that have a usable shelf life per the manufacturer
- Excess inventory from promotions, seasonal merchandise, and national or private-label products
- Excess food products from tradeshows
We cannot accept:
- Packaged perishable and frozen foods
- Unlabeled products or products removed from its original packaging
- Damaged products or products that have exceeded shelf life
- Repackaged or opened products
- Prepared food that has been exposed to public self-service
- Product that has been thawed
- Food containing alcohol
Non-perishable food donations may be dropped off during regular office hours at the:
Americal Civic Center (Lower Level),
467 Main Street, Wakefield MA
William J. Lee Town Hall, 1 Lafayette Street, Wakefield MA
For large donations, please contact us to arrange a delivery.
Run a Food Drive
Thank you for hosting or considering hosting a food drive to help your Wakefield neighbors in need! Below are some tips to running a successful food drive. Please contact us for guidance and resources.
- When do you want to run a food drive?
- What types of food do you want to collect?
- Do you need any supplies?
- Do you have boxes for collecting food?
Set A Goal
- How much food do you want to collect?
- Do groups, clients, or departments want to challenge each other?
Promote Your Food Drive
- Make flyers and send emails with details.
- Where can the food be dropped off?
- What types of food can people donate? (See our list of most needed items)
- When is the food driving happening?
- Who is in charge?
Collect the Donation
- How is the food going to get to the WIFP?
Tell Everyone About Your Success!
- Take pictures and share with participants, the newspaper and the WIFP!
- Write a follow up story that can be used with your photos. We can help with this too! Just email us with a request.