From the Wakefield Daily Item: We all know how well the talented members of the WHS Marching Band perform at football games and at competitions (thus…. award winning). But that’s nothing compared to the compassion they show when they are not on center stage.
Saturday, September 16, 2017, the band came together with their supporters to donate 7,100 high quality food items to their neighbors in need. This food drive by the Marching Band is considered the biggest of the year!
And, our pantry can use all the donations, both in food and in money, that can be spared. Last year, the Wakefield Food Pantry:
- Served 578 families, visiting us 5,393 times
- A household is able to visit the pantry twice per month
- We gave out 19,922 bags of food weighing 278,828 lbs, an increase of 16% over last year.
- A household takes home an average of 4 bags providing more than one week’s worth of food
- Our Senior Supplies Program delivers food to two of our low income senior housing facilities
- Our Kids First Program provides additional food during summer months to families with children and throughout the year through the Boys and Girls Club
- Our Veteran’s Program supplements food given at the town’s monthly food distribution
Our Wakefield community is exceedingly generous and with the young, thoughtful, hard working adults like those in the Marching Band, we know that the “giving” trend will go strong for a long time to come. Thank you, one and all. It’s always a great day to be a Warrior!